Come one come all developers to the Global Game Jam happening over the course of the next 48 hours. Game developers of all levels and backgrounds will be converging on the campuses of UMBC and American University to join the phenomenon that is blowing up all over the world. Starting at 5PM on Friday January 29th participants will have their creativity and skills put to the test. Here is what they have to do.
After the announcement of the main theme for the competition participants will brainstorm ideas to pitch to other participants in order to form their teams. The teams have two days to build both digital and non-digitally formatted games to be put to the test. On the final day, teams will present and demonstrate what they have created to the other teams and the contest sponsors. Each host site will have specific restrictions teams must abide by and work around while developing.
Now let’s take a look at what both sites have to offer and some of the rules.
- Free entry fee
- No pre-planned teams
- No pre-made content, everything must be original
- A mixture of both Windows and Mac computers
- Wifi for anyone who brings their own laptop
- A mix of softwares such as Visual Studio, Unity 5 and Unreal Engine 4.10
- The full even page can be found here: http://gaim.umbc.edu/global-game-jam/
- $25 entry fee (Covers food and other amenities)
- Engage the local AU community to test their games
- Networking opportunities
- Guest speaker Andrew Eiche (North Star Games) and Melanie Stegman (Molecular Jig Games)
- Sound design workshop hosted by Chris Kukla
- The full event page can be found here: http://www.american.edu/soc/gaming/
Participants will have chances to learn, grow and network with other members of the game development community at the Jam. They will also have a unique opportunity to grow and promote their own portfolio by giving everyone an up close and personal look at what they can do. Those who work as professional developers will have the chance to scout new talent and potentially find the next great game developer. More important than anything though everyone will have a chance to work their own magic, let their creativity shine and have a lot of fun over the course of the weekend!